Musée Historique du Domaine National de Saint-Cloud
Musée du domaine national de Saint-Cloud
In 1577, Catherine de Médicis presented her equerry, Jérôme de Gondi, with a small estate of around 13 acres on a hillside overlooking the Seine. Over time, this estate grew in size to 400 hectares and was successively the property of Monsieur, the brother of Louis XIV, Queen Marie-Antoinette, and then summer residence of all of the kings of France until the downfall of Napoleon III. During the 1870 Franco-Prussian war the château was burned down and it was finally demolished in 1892. But reminders of its former glory survive in this museum. Pictures, sculptures, porcelain and photographs provide a glimpse of the splendid architecture and decor of this site that is so redolent of the nation’s history.
| ||Groups catered for |
| ||Facilities : Parking payant|
| ||Services : Boutique, Librairie|
| ||Activities : Expositions temporaires, Manifestations culturelles|